An English girl in New York

Monday 14 November 2016

Job Interview Struggles: What I've Learnt

Having quit my job as an Account Manager at a digital marketing agency to move to Sydney unemployed, I have had my fair share of job application mares. I have, however, learnt quite a few things about myself along the way which I hope you can both laugh at, empathise with and learn from.  

I’ve handed out so many CVs, applied online to umpteen roles and here I am, four weeks later, still unemployed and getting scarily close to the bottom of my savings. I've had three interviews so far; interviews for roles, which on paper, I am totally qualified for. But interviews which I have been far from successful in and have led me to reassess a few things about myself:

Do not say ‘trendy’

One said interview was for Australia's leading street footwear store (it’s not in the UK, so think Office but with edgy Urban Outfitter vibes). I dressed up as ‘urban’ as I possibly could (lol I genuinely think my Mum is cooler than me) and proceeded to describe the leading street retailer as ‘trendy’. Safe to say, I don’t think the manager who was covered in tattoos and wearing 10cm stretchers was feeling my vibe. 

You can only be so bubbly

I mean, who doesn’t love bubbly? Happy go lucky, friendly, refreshing. All great things for sure. Yet I was so desperate for a job at one retailer that I wrote a poem and performed it as part of my job application because I thought it would be a great way to show off my oh so bubbly side. I swear down one of the lines was ‘I’m the perfect person for the role I’ve got great communication skills and so much soul”. SOUL? SOUL? DO I THINK I’M ARETHA FRANKLIN?

Don’t make shit up on the spot

I was under prepared for one of my interviews and was asked for an example where I’ve had to deal with an unhappy customer. I’ve got seven years experience working in customer facing roles, you’d imagine I could think of something. But nope, I spoke about how a ‘customer’ wanted a pen and we didn’t stock the pen so I offered her another pen. Cool story, Hols. Shocker that I didn’t get that job either really isn’t it? 

You can’t vibe with everyone

Doing CV runs is humiliating and unenjoyable for everyone involved. But it’s so difficult when you have to enter stores and pretend that you love whatever they stock. Nightwear and slippers? ‘Omg I looove sleep’. Cosmetics? ‘Did I mention I contour daily?’ Chic evening dresses? ‘I went to a prom once’. The need to be an all singing, all dancing chameleon is difficult and really bloody tiring. For one interview, I dressed up smartly as one would expect and was considered too glamorous for the role, for the second, I wasn’t cool enough (one guess to which one that was). GIVE A GIRL A BREAK. 

All of the above interview experiences have made me come to realise something; I’m not very good at being cool, laid back and, evidently, employable in casual roles. I can lead business meetings with senior professionals and talk at conferences in front of hundreds of people, no problem. Throw me in a situation where I have to sell myself as a fun, chilled individual and I fall back on my professionalism and crumble into a pile of nothing more than an experienced account manager who pronounces her Ts. My well spoken English girl persona isn’t going down as well as I had hoped and my foolproof method of making myself edgy by wearing a choker isn’t cutting it anymore. 

But do you know what, this isn’t a shocking revelation. I’ve always been the girl that says ‘gees louise’ or ‘for the love of jehovah’. One of my first proper nicknames was ‘little Holly Rich’ because I was the goofy little one who had no street cred. And although it’s making my life difficult finding a job, it’s ultimately who I am, which isn’t going to change any time soon and I’m okay with it. Or at least I’m going to convince myself I am by selling it as endearing. 

Interviews and job applications will always be a ball ache, but through my set backs I’ve learnt to not take it personally and realise that it’s okay to not be able to please everyone and give them what they want. If you’re a people pleaser like me, then take a step back and appreciate yourself for all your quirks and flaws. Work what you’ve been given and know that the right job/friend/partner will take you just the way you are. After all, you can only do you. 


(But if anyone does know of a store where the staff members are all crazy cat ladies, say ‘bloody norah’ on the reg and really really love books, then please do let me know because I belong there.)
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Make sure you hold eye contact and never break it, thats my tip top.

    ReplyDelete

Say hello!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig