An English girl in New York

Saturday 24 December 2016

Christmas in Australia: Living in the now


It’s that time of year again when it’s completely acceptable to wear knitted jumpers with singing snowmen, eat your weight in chocolate for that extra layer of chub on those cold Christmas nights, and use the abundance of Christmas parties to get utterly bladdered and it not even be questioned. What happens at the Christmas party, stays at the Christmas party. 

In the northern hemisphere, all of the above remains true, but replace the fairisle jumper with a bikini and the chocolate with an icecream, and you’ve got yourself one fine Aussie Christmas. Imagine hearing Mariah on the radio in the middle of July but crank up the temperature a few notches, throw in a Christmas tree on the beach, and you’ve got it. Truly baffling. 

For the past few weeks, I’ve been trying to get into the festive spirit, forcing Christmas music and half-heartedly decorating my room thanks to my Mumma’s handmade decs. But when you’ve got a fan on 24/7 and are applying the factor 30 left right and centre, it seems somewhat forced. 


The thing I’ve found the most challenging though, is seeing my favourite people in the world having a cosy festive time and displaying it on social media. As much as I love you guys, all those Winter Wonderland instas and tree decorating sessions on snapchat were totally not welcome (kind of joking, kind of not). Social media is a dangerous obsession for many, and leads us all to compare our own lives with others. It’s not real life, it’s the highlights. When these highlights are at a time of year where expectations are so high, it can get almost depressing. 

As someone travelling Australia though, my instagram and snapchat is filled with photos of gorgeous beaches, the most amazing city that is Sydney, and of course, the occasional sweaty selfie. By comparison, people at home in the UK are thinking ‘ahhh I want to be on the beach’, while I look at their photos and wish desperately to be so cold that I have to wear five layers, a scarf, gloves and a bobble hat, whilst drinking mulled wine listening to The Pogues. Go figure.

The moral of the story here, is that Christmas is often a time which can bring people down due to the comparisons made via festive traditions showcased on social media. When in reality, all we’re doing is comparing our lives to a perfect version of that tradition. I’m not going to stop instagraming my life, and nor should anyone else, but this Christmas, it might just be worth focusing on your Christmas day, whether there’s only two of you watching the ‘enders Christmas special, or if it’s a big family affair with every Bob, Dick and Harry going. Stop putting pressure on yourself to live up to anything because there’s nothing to live up to. We can all make our lives look perfect. It’s not about who has the most presents, the most photogenic family, or the biggest turkey, it’s about making the most of the situation you’re in and appreciating the life that you have. 

As I’m not at home with my loved ones, I’ve decided to not force Christmas this year, but to see it simply for what it is; a fun day at the beach, in the sunshine, with friends (and wine, lots of wine). When put like that, it sounds bloody wonderful, see? If I was given the chance to fly home this Christmas, as much as I miss everyone dearly and want nothing more to listen to carols by the fire, I wouldn’t do it. The beauty of Christmas is in the traditions and memories that we all make, and an Aussie Christmas will certainly be one to remember. 


So although I won’t be home this Christmas, and I’ll be spending it on the beach with a burger in hand, I’m still going to wear my reindeer antlers with pride, and raise a glass to my loved ones across the pond making new festive memories, that like mine, will last a lifetime.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Say hello!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig